sábado, 11 de noviembre de 2017

Interview - Jimbo Phillips


1.Rad greetings from Peru Jimbo! is a pleasure doing this interview with you brother! How are you? Hows going the things there?
Thanks! Things are good, been busy creating graphics, doing art shows and running my online store here in Santa Cruz, California.



2.Tell us how you started doing sick artwork, how were your beginnings?
My father is an artist so art was always part of my life, I’ve been drawing since I can remember.  My dad had all kinds of rad art around so I would always look at that, along with comic books, cartoons and Mad magazine
And I would draw all the time. After I graduated from high school, I started working for my dad and he taught me a lot about creating professional artwork. After 3 years of working with my dad, I started my own graphic arts business.



3.What are your influences and inspirations to translate them into your work?
I am inspired by surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, art, music, punk rock, heavy metal, reggae, Beer, weed, cars, girls, tikis, nature, the ocean, forests, cities, comedy, anger, fear, happiness and Love. Etc.
I like to express cool ideas along with intensity, humor and some grossness,  I like a graphic that catches your attention, then pulls you in to inspect the details!



4.You are currently working for Santa Cruz Skateboards,explain us about your work in this great brand of old school skateboarding.
I am a freelance artist. I like to do stuff for Santa Cruz skateboards, I have been doing stuff for them, on and off since 1989.  I love to do skateboard graphics, nothing beats working on a really kickass deck graphic.
And working for SC is cool because they have so much history and my dad is a huge part of that history so it feels good to continue the legacy!



5.Jimbo you work for another skateboarding brands currently?
I've done some stuff for other brands like Volcom, Bell helmets, Nike, Puma, Toyota, and I am currently doing some designs for Riot brewing, Merge 4 socks and Remind insoles.
Along with some posters for bands like Primus, Guns n Roses and Slightly Stoopid.




6.You are fan from terror,horror,gore movies?
Yea! I grew up watching the old black and white classics like Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and the Mummy, but I still watch horror and Sci-Fi movies all the time, some are good and some are bad haha!



7.You listen old school hardcore punk bands?
Yea I discovered Punk Rock in the early 80s with bands like Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Verbal Abuse, D.R.I. and  Fear etc. then got into thrash metal with Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura and Pantera etc.
In the early 90’s I started playing drums in a punk rock band and we played a lot of killer shows, it was a ton of fun! 
I still love to listen to new punk and metal like Propagandhi, A Wilhelm Scream, Mastodon and Baroness.
And I still like to play the drums every once in a while.



8.What is your opinion about the current skateboarding scene around the world?
To me the skateboard scene is the best it has ever been!  There are tons of great skateparks, the equipment has been perfected, and there are so many different ways to skate and they are all good!
Also Skate travel is great, discovering new parks and terrain and it is always fun to meet skaters from other countries, because we all have love for skateboarding in common!





9.How and where the maniac fans from the artwork from Jimbo Phillips can buy and find some from stuff?
My webstore at www.jimbophillips.com is the best place to find my stuff, I have a huge selection of stickers, prints, t-shirts, pins, skateboards and collectables along with some occasional original art.
I also did the new Blake Johnson pro model deck “Venice Origins” available at NSH  FUN FACTORY and a collab line of hats and accessories at Grass roots California.





10.Morbid future plans?
I plan to continue to expand my line of products for my website, and continue to do rad graphics for cool companies. Im also planning on finishing my first book soon.
And I’m helping my son Colby get involved with art and produce graphics, we went to Australia and did live art together at Bowl-a-Rama, it was awesome!



11.Jimbo,thanks a lot for your time in this interview,last words!
Keep skating and creating, stay healthy and have fun! Think positive, take care of the planet, and treat people with kindness. Question the media and what you’re being told, find the answers for yourself.
Never stop learning and tell your family you love them!  Follow me on instagram, twitter and Facebook! @jimbophillips  CHEERS!!!


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario